Anonymous asked: Do you think the characters names in skins were purposely chosen for their personalities and how their storylines will unfold? or somewhat related to them at some point? I find some characters names weirdly contrasting to their characters like katie.
I think the name of the characters are rather thought out. For the most part I feel like they fit completely.
Like James Cook is actually a name of a British explorer and adventurer. Quite brave. The word ‘Cook’ also has a fiery explosive element to it like Cook’s impulsive and reckless personality.
Pandora Moon - An eccentric and looney name for a girl with that same personality. Pandora after Pandora’s box meaning there’s more to her than we think.
Rich Hardbeck - Rich which supplies the idea that he might be full of himself. Hardbeck alludes to his metal music. It also break down to ‘beck’ water. Showing that he does have an emotional side.
Katie Fitch as you were saying how her name doesn’t fit. It’s a girly girl sounding name. I feel like that is what they were going for. Coincidentally though. Katie is derived from Catherine which means pure with Greek roots. Some people think Catherine was derived from the Greek god Hecate. Who is the god of wilderness, (Beaten in the wilderness), childbirth (can’t have kids), and crossroad (she changes quite a bit from Series 3 and Series 4).
I’ll stop there :)
Podcast Spotlight Podcast: Katie Fitch Part 2
- fitchem-rp: Do you think that Katie is the most sensible character of Skins?
- bomblikedeanthom: Would you be friends with Katie fucking Fitch if you knew her in real life?
- Why did people start liking Katie fucking Fitch so fucking much?
- Do you think Katie is simialr to fucking Mini and fucking Michelle?
- Do you think that the fact she has the same “lie” poster on her wall as Maxxie mean/symbolize anything?
- Everythingisskins: Cootie thoughts
My Katie Fitch part 1 podcast can be found in my table of contents under character analysis here.
Skins Symbolism/Motif: Benches
I am breaking down all the major symbols and motifs that were used in Skins throughout the generations. One of the major ones is the use of benches.
If a character is sitting on a bench usually it is a scene in which a character is sitting in a introspective silence by themselves trying to figure things out…trying to make a choice. Liv Malone sat on a bench smoking a cigarette as she decided whether or not to go to the doctor’s to get the strange sensation in her side checked out. Katie Fitch has sat on a bench determining what to do with a life changing piece of news. Cassie has sat and danced on a bench as she decided to to attempt suicide. Benches where the people are alone tend to signify a crossroad in which someone has to make a hard choice.
Benches in which there is more than one person tend to symbolize truth and honest discussions and connections. JJ and Emily bond on a bench. JJ and Lara also bond on a bench. Cassie and Sid finally get on the same page on a bench. People are still at a crossroads though, but they are not alone they are connecting with another person as they deal with the difficulties of one’s life
To me these choices are brilliant, because benches tend to represent in life a place to watch, to relax, to think, and to wait. The use of the bench in the scene adds to the scene and it’s quite nerdy for those who catch these kinds of things.
Skins and the Zodiac: LEO
Michelle Richardson (Gen 1), Katie Fitch (Gen 2), and Mini McGuinness (Gen 3)
I am not saying that these three ladies are the same, because they are not. However they are this. They are all women of fashion, they are all extroverted, and they are all women who have a hard time with change. That is the masculine, fire, and fixed mixture that creates the zodiac sign of Leo.
I’m going to lump these ladies together in terms of explaining why they are Leos and not get into the environmental reasons behind why these things exist. This is just to make things easier. All of these characters are quite loyal and love fiercely. Sometimes that is the problem especially in terms of Katie and Mini where the desire to control others seems to exist inside their affections. All of these ladies also have a tendency of striking back when they are wronged in the most theatrical of ways. That is the thing about Leo things tend to be theatrical. All of three of these ladies have that quality. They also love to be needed and are quite social. All three of them and Leos are also obsessed with how they are scene often times they can be drama queens and are obsessed with fashion, style, and several other things that make them of high status. They can also be magnets for drama and have a flair all their own. Don’t fuck with them and you will be okay. However they also have issues of pride and when their pride is hurt they have a hard time asking for what they need. Michelle felt rejected by Tony and when the accident happened she refused to accept the reality. Trying to force what she wanted to happen to happen. Only it didn’t work. So she spent the rest of the series pridefully keeping her distance despite knowing she wanted to forgive him. Katie’s pride was hurt in terms of Emily breaking away and the same pattern followed. Mini’s pride kept her from dealing with Liv, accepting Alex, accepting Franky, and also kept her from admitting her feelings for Alo, or even telling anyone about her pregnancy. These are prideful ladies of Skins. They will cut you if you hurt anyone they love. They are not afraid of confrontational,. They are a fierce and theatrical threesome hear them motherfucking roar.
Enneagram Type Analysis: Katie Fitch
I was debating between two types for Katie either Type 8: The Challenger or Type 3: The Achiever. I ultimately decided that she would most likely be a Type 3 due to certain vulnerabilities that come with being this type. Details follow the cut.
Character Podcast Spotlight: Katie Fitch
- Katie under utilized?
- Would it have been nice to have seen Katie’s depression from the novel?
- What was Katie’s progression?
- What would Katie’s been if we saw them more?
Mentioned culturaloverload and everythingisskins (I will always try to credit those who ask questions for these podcasts! Thanks for your wonderful questions)
Character Analysis: Katie Fitch “I’m Katie fucking Fitch, who the fuck are you.”
Katie Fitch has one of the best progressions of any of the characters in Generation 2 in my personal opinion. It is a constant moving forward to learning how to channel the awesome that lives inside her and reorganizing her priorities. At the same time she is also one of the characters from Generation 2 that was under utilized and was written below her potential. That being said this post is about analyzing who Katie Fitch really is and diving into her inner motivations.
Katie Fitch - Top 5
Top 5 Katie Quotes:
- “I’m Katie FUCKING Fitch. Who the fuck are you?”
- “I thought it could be. I wanted the perfect boyfriend, perfect marriage, perfect everything.”
- “If you ever try and touch anything that belongs to me ever again, I will fuck you up.”
- “Do you think she knows she sounds filthy half the time?”
- “I’m doing the Great fucking Northern Run! What does it look like I’m doing!?”
Top 5 Katie Moments:
- (4x4) Katie Fucking Fitch: This is by far the most iconic moment of Katie Fitch’s existence on the small screen. This is the moment when Katie got her fight back she got herself back. She became stronger and better than she ever thought possible. She was Katie fucking Fitch. She doesn’t take shit and he doesn’t need anyone. She has her own back and she has fight. Great moment.
- (4x4) Confronting her Mum: This moment was fantastic. Katie is trying not only to get her family together but to voice that fire that ignited in her. To allow her secret and the new development in her life out. To make her Mom understand how stubborn she has been and how she is pushing the family apart by her protective instincts. I also think it shows quite a bit of similarities between Katie and her Mom. They are both strong women who needed to learn things about priorities.
- (4x4) Katie Sharing a Smoke with Effy: This moment was so poignant. Katie asks Effy what love is like. As things are changing for her she is feeling a bit lost in herself. At the same time she’s strong, because to ask such things and be completely aware of losing yourself makes you stronger than most people. It’s a great scene.
- (4x5) Taking Care of Effy on the Float: Katie taking care of Effy and calling out to Freddie. It’s such a small moment. However it stands out. Katie has such a mothering protective instinct she really does and in this moment her instinct is to make sure Effy is okay.
- (4x2) Trying to talk Emily out of Moving: I like this moment. I thought it showed Katie’s heart and how much her family means to her. It was the softer side of Katie in this moment and it showed how desperate she wanted Emily to stay.
Top 5 Words to Describe Katie: